At Hireup, the safety of our community is our number one priority. And because support work happens in a range of environments, it's important to understand the risks of each new environment you, and the person you support, go into. Whether it's someone's home, a public place, a car or a restaurant, there are three steps for support workers to assess risk on all Hireup shifts:
If you notice a hazard that could potentially injure someone or cause damage, stop what you're doing. Nothing is more important than preventing injury from happening. Ask yourself:
- What’s about to happen?
- What are the hazards?
Take the time to observe the environment and take everything in. Ask yourself:
- What could go wrong?
- Is it likely the hazard could harm me or someone else?
Once you have enough information about the risk or hazard, plan your next steps. Ask yourself:
- What can I do?
- Can I eliminate the risk?
- Can I substitute with something less hazardous?
- How can I communicate the controls effectively?
- Can you access the right equipment?
- Are you well positioned?
- Are you avoiding heavy loads, highly repetitive or extreme movements?
Slips and trips:
- Are you holding stair handrails?
- Are walkways free of trip hazards without slippery surfaces?
- Is there adequate lighting?
Personal safety and security:
- Are you protected from physical harm?
- Are you protected from psychological harm?