Introduction and Background
As part of Hireup’s overall approach to making health and safety a priority, Hireup is committed to providing an environment in which all platform users and other road users are safe when vehicles are being driven as part of a Hireup booking.
This policy sets our expectations for both Hireup Support Workers and our clients for the safe operation of a vehicle while providing transport as part of a Hireup booking. This includes transport to or from a Hireup booking as well as during a booking.
For the purposes of this policy, the term “vehicle” refers to cars, utes, vans and other light four-wheeled vehicles only. Transport involving motorbikes or other vehicles is not permitted during a Hireup booking except with prior written approval from Hireup as determined in our sole and absolute discretion and subject to any additional terms and conditions in addition to those outlined in this policy as may be determined by Hireup in such circumstances.
This policy may be reviewed on a periodic basis, including where legislative or organisational changes require review.
This policy should be read in conjunction with Hireup’s Transport Agreement for Support Workers, as well as Hireup’s Codes of Conduct and Health and Safety Policy. To the extent of any inconsistency, the terms of those documents will prevail. This policy does not form part of any contract of employment or engagement with our staff, clients or support workers, or give rise to any contractual obligation or entitlement. It may be amended, replaced or removed by Hireup from time to time in our sole and absolute discretion.
Any breach of this policy may result in disciplinary or other action up to, and including, termination of employment or engagement with Hireup.
Both clients and support workers must ensure, so far is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of themselves and others. This applies during transport provided as part of a booking. This includes, but is not limited to:
- committing to safe driving behaviour by remaining alert, managing fatigue and fitness to drive, observing road rules (including licence conditions and passenger limits), wearing a seatbelt and utilising defensive driving techniques where appropriate;
- avoiding any act or omission which could give rise to a risk to the health and safety of themselves or others, including any driving which is, or could be regarded as, reckless;
- not consuming alcohol or drugs while providing transport, or otherwise operating any vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- not operating any vehicle while presenting with symptoms of fatigue, including tiredness, sleepiness, headache, dizziness, muscle weakness or other impairments which could impact decision making;
- not operating any mobile phone or other hand held device while operating a vehicle;
- ensuring that any vehicle is maintained in a roadworthy condition, remains regularly serviced and registered;
- conducting a vehicle inspection prior to entering or operating a vehicle for the first time and at least annually thereafter;
- notifying Hireup immediately of any medical condition, medication or other circumstances which could give rise to a risk to the health and safety of themselves or others as part of transport during a Hireup booking; and
- notifying Hireup immediately using the online incident report for in the case of any accident, near miss event or other incident while transport is provided during a Hireup booking.
Both support workers and clients have a responsibility to ensure that any vehicle to be used during a Hireup booking can be operated in a healthy and safe manner in accordance with this policy.
Where a support worker or client is not the owner of the relevant vehicle, prior to operating the vehicle, they must:
- request and sight a copy of the registration certificate for the vehicle;
- request and sight copies of relevant insurances held by the owner of the vehicle (see below);
- make enquiries as to any training or vehicle modifications which need to be addressed; and
- complete a visual vehicle inspection and make any other enquiries as necessary to satisfy themselves that the vehicle can be operated in a healthy and safe manner in compliance with this policy.
Where a support worker or client has any concern regarding risks to health and safety associated with transport provided during a Hireup booking, they must immediately cease providing transport and notify Hireup.
Planning your journey
Both support workers and clients are required to plan for each journey prior to driving. This could include:
- scheduling rest stops or leaving at suitable times to avoid fatigue;
- avoiding travel at times when travel may be more risky due to weather conditions, heavy traffic, the driver’s sleepiness or the presence of wild animals or more;
- allowing sufficient time for the journey to avoid pressure to speed;
- avoiding certain roads, intersections or turning movements and selecting safer, higher standard roads;
- ensuring that you can easily navigate the journey with minimum distractions; and
- otherwise not committing to any journey which gives rise to any health and safety concern.
We also strongly recommend that a first aid kit be kept in any vehicle to ensure that any health and safety issues can be addressed efficiently. Otherwise, support workers and clients must ensure that they call 000 in the event of any emergency requiring immediate support.
The owner of a vehicle to be used as part of a Hireup booking must ensure that they obtain and maintain appropriate insurance policies to cover any accident, near miss, property damage (including third party property damage) or other incident which may occur. This includes, but is not limited to, maintaining compulsory third party insurance.
It is important to note that the owner of the vehicle and / or the operator of the vehicle will be responsible at all times for any issues which may arise. Hireup strongly encourages the owner of a vehicle to confirm that their insurance cover is appropriate having regard to the nature of transport being provided during a Hireup booking and the requirements of this policy.
The holder of the relevant insurance policies must provide copies of such policies, records or certificates of insurance as may be required by any support worker, client or Hireup representative from time to time.
They must also keep all other records as may be appropriate to evidence compliance with the insurance requirements under this policy.
Hireup will not be responsible for any loss, cost, expense, liability, damage or other amount which may become payable as a result of any issue arising while transport is provided during a Hireup booking. As a result, such issues will not be covered by Hireup’s insurance, meaning that maintaining appropriate insurance cover is critical.
Compliance and other responsibilities
Whether as a driver or passenger, Hireup support workers and clients must comply with all applicable laws, road rules and other transport requirements in the relevant state or territory in which the booking takes place. This includes:
- maintaining a current, valid and unrestricted driver’s licence which permits driving in Australia at all times;
- complying with the limitations associated with such a licence by not operating any vehicle which is not permitted under such a licence, or otherwise operating any vehicle in a manner which is not permitted under such a licence;
- keeping updated copies of relevant documentation, including current driver’s licence information on a support worker’s profile on the platform;
- contacting Hireup immediately if any licence issues arise such as cancellation, restrictions or modifications; and
- keeping accurate records in relation to your transport work including date of journey, start location, end location, and distance travelled.
Drivers are not permitted to provide driving instruction or driving lessons to any other person during a Hireup booking, unless they are licenced to do so.
Hireup may, on a case by case basis in its sole and absolute discretion, permit certain individuals to provide transport during a Hireup booking in circumstances where they do not hold an unrestricted driver’s licence but hold some other appropriate licence type.
Hireup reserves the right to impose additional terms and conditions in addition to those outlined in this policy in such circumstances.