At Hireup we recognise that carers play a vital role in providing daily care and support to people with disability.
Carers are people who provide personal care, support and assistance to another individual in need of support due to disability, medical condition, mental illness, or who is frail and aged. This does not include people who provide such support for payment, such as support workers on Hireup. We provide access to thousands of support workers so that people with disability can access reliable paid support and provide respite to their carers. Carers play an essential role in the lives of many people with disability and we recognise that the support provided by informal carers is often overlooked from an economic perspective. We also recognise that there is a shortage of services targeted towards carers to support their physical health, mental health and employment outcomes. We support the Statement for Australia's Carers. The Statement contains ten key principles that set out how carers should be treated and considered in service delivery settings.
- All carers should have the same rights, choices and opportunities as other Australians, regardless of age, race, sex, disability, sexuality, religious or political beliefs, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage, cultural or linguistic differences, socioeconomic status or locality.
- Children and young people who are carers should have the same rights as all children and young people and should be supported to reach their full potential.
- The valuable social and economic contribution that carers make to society should be recognised and supported.
- Carers should be supported to enjoy optimum health and social wellbeing and to participate in family, social and community life.
- Carers should be acknowledged as individuals with their own needs within and beyond the caring role.
- The relationship between carers and the persons for whom they care should be recognised and respected.
- Carers should be considered as partners with other care providers in the provision of care, acknowledging the unique knowledge and experience of carers.
- Carers should be treated with dignity and respect.
- Carers should be supported to achieve greater economic wellbeing and sustainability and, where appropriate, should have opportunities to participate in employment and education.
- Support for carers should be timely, responsive, appropriate and accessible.
Many clients on the Hireup platform have carers playing an important role in their lives. Find out about some of the ways Hireup works with carers:
- Our purpose is to enable the pursuit of a good life for everyone. We deliberately wrote our purpose to include more than people with disability, as we recognise the valuable roles played by carers, support workers, friends, family, and other professionals. We want to play a role in enabling everyone to pursue their good life.
- We provide access to thousands of support workers so that people with disability can access reliable support, providing respite for their carers.
- We support carers to be account managers on Hireup.
- We help carers understand their rights and responsibilities under the NDIS.
- We partner with other disability service providers who focus on supporting carers.
- We offer information and community connection events for people with disability and their families .