As someone seeking support on Hireup you may want transport provided to you, either in your own vehicle or in a support worker’s vehicle.
This guide will give you all the information you need to safely receive transport support with Hireup.
It is important to understand that your vehicle, your worker’s vehicle and any other vehicle that is involved in an accident during a Hireup transport shift is not covered by Hireups’ insurance.
Selecting Transport as a support category in your profile
If you want to receive transport support with Hireup you can nominate this in your profile.
When you are recruiting support workers to your team, you will need to find out whether they are willing and able to provide transport for you.
Support Workers who have nominated to provide transport have to verify transport related information including signing Hireup’s transport agreement and hold an unrestricted Australian drivers licence. Support workers can only provide transport support if they have nominated this on their Hireup profile.
Support Worker using their own vehicle
Aligning with the SCHADS industry award, if a worker uses their own car during a shift they are entitled to claim $0.78 per kilometre as a Vehicle Allowance for the distance they have driven during that shift. This does not include travel to and from the shift.
If a support worker uses their own vehicle to provide transport for you, you must ensure that the vehicle allowance has been enabled for the bookings that include transport
Before travelling in the support workers vehicle you must:
- Check that the vehicle is safe, clean and roadworthy
- Request to see a copy of the vehicle registration
- Request to see a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance on their car
- Confirm that the Support Worker has considered the need for Comprehensive Vehicle Insurance (Hireup’s insurance does not cover support worker vehicles)
- Confirm that the support worker will keep accurate records of the trips they have made using their own vehicle during a booking
- Discuss with the support worker the need for a first aid kit to be kept in the vehicle.
Remember if a support worker is using their own vehicle they are responsible for any damage caused to the vehicle (or another vehicle involved in an accident). It is important to confirm that they have the appropriate level of insurance as they are not covered by Hireup’s insurance in these scenarios.
Using your own vehicle
If you need a support worker to drive your own vehicle you must:
- Ensure that your vehicle is safe, clean and roadworthy
- Confirm that your vehicle is registered in your state
- Confirm that you have Compulsory Third Party(CTP) insurance on your car
- Consider the need for Comprehensive Vehicle Insurance (Hireup’s insurance does not cover your vehicle)
- Confirm that you will conduct a visual inspection of your vehicle once per year.
- Ensure your vehicle is maintained and serviced in accordance with the owner’s manual
- Consider the need for a first aid kit to be kept in your vehicle
- Ensure the support worker knows how to operate your vehicle. This could include
It's important to understand your vehicle is not covered by Hireup’s insurance. By using your vehicle in a Hireup shift you are sharing the liability with your worker. This is why it's important to make sure you have the appropriate insurance cover and to check that the worker is qualified to drive for you.
These templates might help you to ensure to manage transport.
Visual Inspection Report
Conducting a visual inspection of a vehicle is a great way to confirm the vehicle is safe and clean. If you are using your own vehicle with Hireup you should conduct a visual inspection annually.
If travelling in a support worker’s vehicle we recommend that you inspect the vehicle before travelling for the first time. You may also want to conduct another inspection every 6 months after that. Here is a template you can use to complete the inspection
Vehicle Log Book
You may wish to keep records of the trips driven in your vehicle. To assist you with this, here are a couple of logbook apps we recommend
ATO Vehicle Logbook iTunes