Hireup has a Zero Tolerance policy towards the abuse, negligence, neglect and exploitation of people with disability.
Whilst Hireup is actively working to prevent incidents of abuse and neglect, we recognise that we must also have strong procedures in place to respond to allegations of abuse, ensuring that we provide quality support for people seeking support and disability support workers.
- We will ensure there are no negative consequences for those who report allegations of abuse or neglect.
- We will ensure all people involved in incidents relating to abuse and neglect receive quality medical, psychological and legal support.
- We will seek consent from the person who experienced abuse before we notify the person responsible of the allegation of abuse and neglect.
- We will ensure the person who experienced abuse is informed of the action response plan, including any mandatory reporting requirements.
- We will ensure all reporting requirements are met and all criminal notifications are made.
Responsibilities - People Seeking Support and Support Workers
Observing and responding to current abuse and neglect incidents
- Ensure the safety of yourself and those around you.
- Call emergency services (000) if anyone is in immediate danger. Emergency services will dispatch ambulance and police if required.
- Do not move or touch any evidence the Police may need in their investigation.
- If possible, isolate the area where the incident occurred and do not allow anyone to enter the area until the Police arrive.
- In cases of alleged sexual assault preserve the person’s clothing, bedding or other relevant material where possible. Try and delay bathing/showering until the Police arrive.
- Do not ask the person questions about what happened. That is the role of the Police.
- Call Hireup on 02 9113 5933 or submit an incident report through the incident reporting tool on the Hireup platform.
Receiving an allegation or suspecting abuse or neglect of a person seeking support
- Listen openly and without judgement to the disclosure.
- Advise the person you are supporting that you will need to share this information with the Hireup HQ team.
- Call Hireup on (02) 9113 5933 or submit an incident report to the abuse and neglect disclosure.
Responsibilities - Hireup Support and Incident Response Teams
Receiving an allegation or suspecting abuse or neglect of a client
- If receiving the allegation on the phone:
- Listen openly and without judgement to the disclosure
- Take detailed notes of the conversation, include all facts disclosed to you.
- If receiving the allegation via email or through the incident reporting form:
- Review the information carefully
- Call the notifier to seek further information or clarification.
- Advise the notifier that there may be mandatory reporting requirements that Hireup needs to oblige with.
- Advise the Incident Response team leader, who will:
- Develop an action plan and communicate this with the notifier.
- Review reportable incidents and mandatory reporting requirements.
- Notify the Community Support Manager and the Head of Service.
The Hireup team will ensure compliance with these procedures in the response to an allegation of abuse or neglect:
- Incident and Issue Response Procedure
- Reportable Incidents and Mandatory Reporting Requirements
- Information Sharing Guidelines.