Hireup is the legal employer of all support workers you will engage with on Hireup, and we have a responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of you and the support workers you engage. However, under the terms of our service agreement with you, you also have a number of responsibilities for the day-to-day coordination and management of the support workers you engage.
This article has been created to explain to you the scope of the job description that support workers on Hireup have been given so that you understand what they are able to do while working for you.
Position Overview - What can you expect of your support workers?
Support workers on Hireup are permitted to perform tasks for you within the following general guidelines:
- Assist you with personal care, healthcare and hygiene in areas such as dressing, bathing, toileting, and eating.
- Assist you to develop community skills by facilitating tasks like budgeting, shopping, meal planning and preparation, cooking and management of residence.
- Support activities of mobility and transferring, which promote independence. However please make sure you have provided clear instructions to enable the support worker to undertake this work safely.
- Support you with necessary household duties such as cooking, cleaning and laundry activities.
- Support you to keep yourself and your environments safe, clean and healthy.
- Ensure healthcare activities are addressed, such as taking medications or attending medical appointments. However please make sure you have provided clear instructions to enable the Support Worker to undertake this work safely.
- Maintain social, vocational and community activities, as well as developing relationships in the wider community.
- Assistance in the development of care plans.
- Secretarial support and/or assistance with administrative functions.
If you are unsure whether the supports you need fall within the permitted tasks of a support worker, please contact us and we will be happy to clarify. As a general rule, you can expect the following standards from Hireup support workers:
- support workers perform all duties with professionalism and care.
- support workers manage their time, and plan and organise their work.
- support workers display sound judgment, initiative, confidentiality and sensitivity.
- support workers use common sense and approach you for guidance where tasks, activities or duties are beyond the scope of what could reasonably be expected from someone in the role of support worker.
What is beyond the scope of the support worker?
Examples of tasks, duties or activities outside the remit of support worker include:
- Any activity involving specialist knowledge, skill or abilities that you do not possess
- Performing any sort of medical procedure or intervention without clear instruction, and which are beyond very basic levels of competency.
- Operating heavy machinery(excluding vehicles)
- Using tools or equipment without experience that is unrelated to support, care or domestic activities.
We ask for your cooperation in ensuring that all support workers are only given tasks which fall within the permitted tasks given above. Please contact Hireup on (02) 9113 5933 or email us at email@example.com for clarification if you are unsure.